Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Brushing Off the Dust ad Cobwebs...


So, uh...it's been quite a while since I last logged on here, yes?

Did you all miss me? (Or even notice I was absent. :-P)

It's obvious that quite a few things have changed around here site-wise like this whole new journal system, for instance. So strange and so new! But yeah, I should probably cut to the chase and offer up some kind of explanation as to why I've been so distant from this blog (and DeviantART) and just posting art in general. 

As you might recall from a journal entry eons ago, I decided to take a hiatus of sorts from doing the artist alley/convention tables to go back to school and focus on improving my art. To say that this past year has been insane would be amassive understatement. Without going into too many long and winding details, I've experienced both triumphant, extraordinary highs and tumultuous, devastating lows. As a result, I hadn't been creating or posting as much art as I would've liked to. I mean, I still do plenty of drawing (life drawing classes help BIG TIME. Never pass down an opportunity to go to a life drawing session, guys!) but I guess I was so hellbent on improving my art that I became overly critical of everything that landed on the paper. In a weird way, I became scared of drawing. I had forgotten for a while that drawing was supposed to be something that was (GASP! Shock of all shocks!) FUN. 

Now that I'm getting into a much more calm and stable frame of mind, I've been rediscovering my joy of drawing. Be it pencilling, inking or coloring, once I get into a good creative groove, there's nothing that can stop me! Hell, I've even noticed some (dare I say the magic word?) improvement in my recent pieces. It might not've seemed noticeable at the time but looking back on my work then and comparing it to now, I feel like my coloring has been improving (I've been paying more attention to little things like light and shadow), my body shapes are becoming more varied, my anatomy is coming along bit by bit. Yes, hands are still a snot to deal with but they're coming along. 

Bottom line: I feel like I'm finally ready to share with you guys some of my newer pieces.

Sure, I'm always open for critique (what aspiring creative isn't?) but most of all, I hope you enjoy them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment