Saturday, April 23, 2011

Toony Stew



Here's a fun little drawing exercise I picked up from jeinu's excellent tutorials on DeviantART.

Draw a bunch of odd, random shapes and try to create a face out of them. They turned out much more cartoonier than what I usually do but y'know what? It's really fun to get super cartoony every once in a while. It also helps that I was watching a lot of episodes of "The Critic" ("Needs more love" is an understatement) so I had a lot of their looser, cartoony character designs in mind while working on these.

With all these bizarre shapes, I wanted to draw a range of different ages, genders, shapes and characterizations.

Top left corner is a mall loitering sceney-bopper (you know 'em when you see 'em), top right corner disapproves of your lower middle-class shenanigans and waistlines, middle right became some sort of willowy, pretty boy Michael Jackson goth type, bottom left corner is a mopey sadsack working a soulless 9 to 5 desk job and bottom right corner is such an adorable little Jabba (as in Jabba the Hut) girl.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment